Easy No-Sew Face Mask Hack
We’re excited to share Standard Textile Home’s first cloth face covering for every day use. Comfortable and easy to wash, these are great to keep on-hand in the car, sports bags, purses, briefcases, backpacks, and more. But keeping track of our face covering throughout the day is not something many of us thought about this time last year.
Whether you’re out running errands or sitting at a desk space safely distanced from others, here are some great tips for convenience and comfort when wearing your face covering:
Create your own ear loops, adjustable for your head and face shape:
- Lay your mask out on a flat surface, with the pleats pointing down and facing toward you. (Hint: When the covering is placed on your face the pleats should open downward.)
- Take one of the top strings and create a loop by tying it around the lower string on the same side. Cinch the knot to move the knot up as close to the bottom of the face covering cloth as possible, creating a loop for your ear.
- Repeat the process on the other side.
- Take the two long bottom strings and tie them together into a bow positioned near the ends of the strings.
Check out a quick how-to video here:
Create a strap, enabling you to quickly and easily take your face covering off without having to touch the front of the cloth or remove it entirely:
- Put the face covering on, placing the loops over your ears. Tighten (or loosen) the knots for comfort around the ear loops.
- Let the long bottom string hang down on the front of your shirt.
- When your ear loops are comfortable, pull the long string up and over your head. Tighten the bow as desired around the back of your head.
- Adjust to ensure full coverage of the fabric over your nose and mouth.
Now, when you want to take your face covering off without setting it down or tucking it into your pocket (yuck), simply take the loops off of your ears and the covering will fall gently forward. To put it back on, grab it by the ear loops and place it again on your face.
Check out another quick how-to video here:
Once you’re back home, the face covering is easily machine washable on high heat. Lay flat to dry & stay safe.